Saturday, February 4, 2012

Training 14 Weeks to Go

Well another week down and I think the reality that the race is coming close hit me this week. Only 3 months left and it will be time to see if I can rely on all this training to carry me through one of the toughest Ironman Courses. I started this week labeled more of a taper so my volume is much less then last week or the week before. Mostly due to the Super Half Marathon that I am running tomorrow. So let review the week thus far:

Swim: Longer work outs this week. Two of the work outs were 2850 yds which took me about 50 minutes to complete. Starting with my warm up 500 yds with drills then into the main set: 10 x100 yds, 5 x200 yds (faster then first set) then 5 x 50s (as fast as I can) followed by a 100 yd cool down. I stayed pretty consistent though both work outs averaging 1:30-1:34s on the 100s, 3:04-3:08 on the 200's and quick :34-:36 50s. Friday I did my endurance swim, (due to the weather we had come through) found it was me and only 2 other people at the pool Friday morning. Needless to say didn't have anyone in the lane with me to push harder and with ended up with 2800 yds just over 45 minutes. Totaled the week with 8500 yds and I am feeling much better about my swim.

Bike: Business as usual at my progressive cycling class, as difficulty continues to increase we are going to sprints on climbs and flat out sprints. Other wise I only had 4 hours on the bike so with some added time at my class I had a 1:40 to do on my own. So did a small brick at the gym on Friday 40 mins on the spin bike then went upstairs for an easy run on the treadmill. With the below 30 degree temps and 30 mph winds I figured this was the best option. Today  I decided on an easy spin on my trainer which I moved in the house now (thanks to the sale of the Bow Flex). So it is a little bit more inviting then going out the garage. Totaled only 58.6 miles on the bike this week about half as much as I usually do but hopefully it will pay off on my run tomorrow.

Run: Started my run week off with a quick 45 minute run. Which I ran on the course for the Super half. I had planned to run 22:30 out and turn around at the pace I felt comfortable with. Which ended up being at about 80-85% of my heart rate max. I was able to maintain a 6:59/mile pace and ended up with a heart rate average of 154. Ran 6.44 miles in 45:01, wow I was happy. As a not so famous sports caster would say "Boom, goes the dynamite!!"I plan to go in to my race tomorrow with the same mind set and strategy. I had another 60 min run on the schedule this week but after Tuesday I opted out of it. Why ? I figured I want my legs to be fresh and ready to run. So I did an easy run on Friday as mentioned earlier. Only had about 9.45 miles for the week plus another 13.1 tomorrow. Still less then normal but most of my distance this week will be sub 7:15/miles. So less volume but more intensity.

That wraps up my training for the week. Tomorrow I will post my race report for the Super Half. Next week is considered a recovery week. It will be hard to maintain lower volume for two weeks in a row but I know the week after will be back up in volume so give the body (and family) a break.

I will post my race report tomorrow, hoping to break my 1:37:07 Half Marathon PR (Personal Record).

Cheers,

Nate







No comments:

Post a Comment