Sunday, February 12, 2012

Training 13 weeks to Go (Recovery)

Hey Everyone,

Well even though this was my recovery week, it was probably my worse week of training since starting in November. After running the half marathon last Sunday, I fought with some sore legs the first part of the week. Then it turned to a head cold for the remainder of the week.  I decided not to go to my cycling class, mostly do to Monday being my rest day after the race and Wednesday was when my head cold was at full force. So I was scheduled 8 hours of training during my recovery week but only able to hit 7:23.

Swim: Longer workouts this week. I was in the pool for almost 2 hrs with only 2 workouts. Those work outs included: 500 yd warm up (with 400 of Drills), 10x 200s, 1x 250 and 100 cool down. With the cold, my times were just a little slower then normal but my endurance in swimming has been improving. Totaled 5700 yards with the two work outs.


Bike: With out spin class I was able to hop on the trainer at the house during the week. Even got out for a good 90 min ride on Friday before the winter weather moved in to Co Spgs. I tried to find a good route from my work to get some climbing in. Part of this climbing was up to Cheyenne Canon Road.

Data for the Cheyenne Canyon Road Ascent

This road is usually full of cyclist riding up and down to get some good hill repeats in. But once I started the climb and found only one other rider passing me on the down hill. This rider was on a mountain bike. I didn't think anything of it and continued my ascent. I made it up just past mile two then realized why I was the only one up there on a road bike with race tires on it....(wait for it..) yes it was ICE! The down hill lane was covered in patches of ice and black ice. So I made the call no need to risk it, I will be back another day and began my descent to the bottom.
Bottom of the Cheyenne Canon Road
Over all I had a good ride just under 24 miles with close to 2000 feet of elevation gain. It was a cold ride towards then end but ended up back on Fort Carson and headed home. Saturday was my 90 minute bike and 60 minute run brick (transition from the bike to run as quick as you can to simulate racing). After riding clear roads in 40 degree temps the day before I was surprised when I woke up.
 
Saturday Morning Weather

We had freezing rain the night before and snow on top of that. So of course looks I was hitting the trainer for the ride and wanting to get rid of this head cold, I opted to do the elliptical for 30 minutes. As far as cycling for the week ended up with just over 4 hours with 64 miles.

Run: (this will be short) Due to the awesome weather we had Saturday, I only got one run in this week. This was a 60 minute run I did during lunch on a treadmill. I decided to take the time and gauge the speed (minutes per mile) vs my Heart Rate. I ran the half marathon last week around 160 BPM and averaged 6:45min/miles. So I wanted to see my other HR Zones and what that would produce as speed. It was much easier on the treadmill with no distractions (traffic, sidewalks, ice, etc). I was able to gauge my HR with the speeds on the treadmill. Great information to use later on. Figure with increase or decrease of 5 BPM (on flat course or minimal elevation gain) is 15 seconds on my pace per mile.
140 HR/ 8:00 min/miles 
145 HR/ 7:45 min/miles
150 HR/ 7:30 min/miles

Overall, even with being sick and sore from the race last weekend, I think it was productive, giving my body some time to rest for the next 4 weeks of build work outs and increased of volume.

Cheers,
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment