Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Half Marathon Race Report

This is the race I decided it was time to break my previous PR of 1:37:07 set in September of 2010 shortly after arriving in Colorado Springs.

The night prior I had everything laid out and had a list of the things I needed to get in the morning. The race didn't start till 10 am so I had plenty of time in the morning and wasn't rushed at all. I left the house at 8:30 to get downtown for packet pick up. At packet pick up I met up with Scott, Kim, Nicole and John from my Triathlon club. We chatted it up deciding what we were going to wear, since the temps were in the low 20's but forecast said low 30's at 10 am. I went back to my truck to change in to my attire for the race which I went with a long sleeve quarter zip with a short sleeve underneath, shorts, compression socks, beanie and gloves. I was a little chilly but I knew once the race started I would be good. Did some warm ups and stretches before going back to packet pick up to met up with everyone. Few more conversations about strategies and paces, then it was almost time to go. Decided to hit the facilities before hand and headed outside with Nicole to do a quick warm up. (Little did I know should have turned on my watch). After the warm up, the start line was starting to fill up so we took our spots towards the front. There was about 3 minutes before the race was going to start so I turned on my watch. Time kept ticking to the start UGH!!! still no satellites. Before I knew it the countdown started so I just waited for the whistle and just hit start. Thinking to myself it will pick them up once I get out of down town. At that point I though well the best thing I can do it go off my heart rate. So plan B it is. Decided to not worry about pace I was going to run this race at about 85% of my heart rate which is about 160-165 bpm.

First part of the race (Bright Green Shirt)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JE0zYXaBCjU
(Video of the race start)

The race started out down hill so of course the first mile was pretty fast. I decided to keep up with the lead group until we got to the first mile marker to check pace, wow sub 5:45 minute mile. I was feeling good so I just continued on, we all stuck pretty close with a few lead changes through the first 5k of the race. After the 5k the group started to break up. I was just going to check my HR so decided to shut off the GPS on my watch and I was fully committed to Plan B. I figured I have been training with HR since November so I will be good. I didn't think to lap my watch at each mile to get my splits but it was enjoyable. I wasn't stressed about pace not wondering if I need to slow down or speed up. Plan A was to run 7:15/miles for the first half and then run what I could on the second. With keeping the HR in 160-165 I only had to check my watch every half mile or so I was just focused on my running. It was a nice out an back course on a trail I run weekly so I knew where the hills were, having to adjust to the few icy spots on the trail. We had a big storm move through Co Springs luckily the course was about 95% clear of any snow or ice.  Reaching the turn around just before mile 7 and I was on my way back. Seen all the previous mentioned Tri club folks and cheered them on. I was just focused on running never thought about how close I was to getting a PR until mile 9 (the only split I remember) 1:00:14, at that point I was averaging about 6:42/miles. For a moment I thought I should pull back but only a moment :-) , I check my HR again and kept going. Now we were catching a bit of a head wind which make it a little chilly again so the previous unzipped shirt and gloves tucked in my shorts where returned. I never felt I was pushing too hard, I was relaxed and controlled. I hit mile 11 and realized wow this is going to be an under a 1:30 half marathon. I played cat and mouse with a guy for the last two miles but I wasn't too worried I just stayed comfortable and ran. Before I knew it I saw the last turn prior to crossing under the bridge to the finish. I kicked it up a bit in attempt to catch the guy in front but wasn't enough ground left to catch; crossing the finish line at 1:28:24 (10th Overall and 6th in my Age group (30-39M). I grabbed a few cups of water and started running back to see some of my fellow tri club folks.

After a few of them finished I was completely cooled down and ready to head back to the truck to grab some warmer clothes. After getting some dry clothes on, I was warmed back up and headed over to Jack Quinn's for the post race activities. There we had a few post race drinks and enjoyed a 5 dollar breakfast which hit the spot after the race. We got our t-shirts and finisher pint glasses and it was time to head home. So I ended up with a PR on my Half Marathon -8:43 from previous. Have to thank my wife for her continued support I know if the temps would have been warmer she would have been out there with the boys. But she was the first one to congratulate me after seeing my time online. Also to my running coach Nicole Drummer, NEO Endurance Sports, who helped me work on my form, strength and flexibility which has made me a stronger runner this year. 
It was a Great Day and a Great Race at the  Inaugural Super Half Marathon. Awesome job by Pikes Peak Sports and Pikes Peak Road Runners.

Cheers
Nate






1 comment: