Sunday, May 13, 2012

IMSG Part III

Run 4:11:03

Taking you back over the last four weeks, I experienced pain in my knee due to ITB. I was heading out on a long 18 mile run and after about 8 miles it took a turn south and it took all I could just to walk through the pain back to my house. I was unsure of how to train with this type of injury, trying a number of things from decreasing volume to using an elliptical. Nothing seemed to help so I sought out a Sports Medicine Doctor whom I had become to know very well. I under went an injection in my knee and physical therapy for the last 2 weeks prior to the race. So I was pretty much going into this race not running more then 6-7 miles at one time. I was hoping to just push through any pain I had and run the race like I had plan/trained too. Walking wasn't an option.

Coming out of T2
IMSG Run Course (8.7 mile Lap)
As soon as I got on the run course, Jess was there and said a few words of encouragement, which I needed at that point in time. The pain had already set in during the first 20 steps of the race. I started at a pace I had trained for which was around an 8:30 pace. The first 3 miles I continued to keep with in this pace while stopping at every aid station to grab water, Ironman Perform and ice. The temperatures were still in the 80's and with the run course being in town we were protected from the winds that harassed us on the bike. The pain increased with every step. I did a quick assessment on pace vs pain, I found by slowing my pace by :30-:45 seconds per mile the pain was less, still discomforting but less. So I rolled with that and tried to enjoy the race. The course was a 3 loop course with 4 out and backs on each lap... and yes it was brutal but the crowd made up for it. During my first loop (8.7 miles) I was mostly trying to get comfortable in my pace. I was able to see the support crew twice during that time which really helped. As I began my way up Diagonal Hwy, I was watching some athletes coming down just about to finish the bike course and just before I turned around to head back, I saw a familiar face from the Pikes Peak (P2) Tri Club, John (who I saw a number of times during the run where we exchanged words of encouragement to each other). When starting from the top of that out and back on Diagonal it is all down hill till you reach the bottom of the course, then back up hill, down hill, up hill etc for each out an back. I tried to maintain a steady pace overall by taking my time on the uphill and cruising the down hills. As I got back to the hub (Tabernacle and Main) of the run course, I saw another familiar face from P2 Tri Club, Tracy, who had taken me on some brutal bike rides as we trained up. I began to think of the others I knew on the course and hadn't seen yet, maybe I will see them on the second loop somewhere. As I began the second loop I came up on an athlete walking with the same KT configuration on his right knee. I asked "IT band", he replied "Yeah (with some pain in his voice) I told him "I hear you man, best of luck" he said "you too but looks like you are handling it better than me".
High Five from my youngest on Lap 2 
That seemed to lift my spirits, since I wasn't running as fast as I wanted to but at least I am not walking. During this loop I was taking water, ice, Ironman perform, orange slices and sponges from every aid station. I soon approached the 13 mile mark on the run course. All of my veteran Ironman friends told me once you get to that point the race is half over. At the time it sounded like some crazy logic.. I first need to go 127.5 miles to get to the half way point in a 140.6 mile race??... Well they were right after the first 13.1 mile on the run, all the adrenaline that was carrying me through was soon depleted. Now came the time for the heart and drive to finish this race to take over. It didn't help having to climb the next 3 miles on the course. My splits started to slow but I wasn't going to start walking, the pain intensified with every stride up that climb. I was able to get my mind and body in two places after I passed by my Support Crew (Jess, Dad and Noah). As you can tell from the picture it was a great boost to keep pushing. I finished the out and back up Diagonal. I came running down to the hub of the course there was the sign "Loops 1, 2, 3 <--- Finish -->". The volunteer at the sign reminded me I needed to go left to start the 3rd Loop. I let her know the next one I am on my way to the finish. She cheered and high fived me as I continued the course.
On the 3rd loop, 2nd out and back
 Since we are on topic of volunteers, I tried to say thank you to every single one of them. The support they gave the athletes during this event was outstanding. From the themed aid stations (superhero, Patriotic, beach, jungle, etc) on the run and bike course, to the little kids holding out drinks and sponges and all the words of encouragement. Being a member of the US Army Triathlon club, I love wearing my Army tri kit: 1- not many people have it so easy for the support crew to pick me out, 2- it always sparks up conversation with fellow athletes (prior service or currently serving) mostly "where you stationed, what do you do?"and 3- you always get to hear "Go Army Dude". Although I remember a female athlete wearing Navy Tri Kit as she passed me at the start of the run she  sounded off with "Go NAVY".... ha ha little did she know I wasn't a USMA grad so that had no affect on me so I just told her awesome job and continued my bout with pain. The race support was great the crowd definitely kept the athletes going and there would be no race with out them.
 During the 3rd loop there was some confusion with the support crew with the number of laps I had left and surprised with the pace I was running despite the pain they could see on my face. They had gone back to the condo to get my Mom and Eli. So I didn't see them during this loop. You could tell many of us were trying everything we could to get our minds off this last 8.7 miles. With the on going conversations reference "Well I would rather run an extra loop vs doing that swim again." The conversation between most athletes had to do with the swells in the water, the gust of wind that almost took them off the road or another athlete they knew that didn't make the cut off. Sadly, the realization of the other athletes I knew may have been one of those that didn't make the swim or the bike cut offs. I tried to side line that since I still had some ground to cover. Soon I came upon the 20 mile mark, surprisingly when you have been racing all day "the wall" most people hit in a marathon doesn't really have much affect on you. I kept running and kept pace very well. I made my out and on my final back on the last street (mile 22) before I made my way up Diagonal. As explain earlier with the down hill, now I am running uphill for the next 2.5 miles. The volunteers were cheering and the cow bells were going, even seeing some guys wearing totos (if you watched the video from IMSG one guy says "People take this race TOTO serious, so I thought I would bring the party"), the energy from the crowd was enough to push that last hill. I made it to the turn around and told myself its time to go with less then 2 miles to the finish.
IMSG Finish Official 12:14:40

  I started to stride out, not feeling the pain anymore and took my last cup of water, ice and Perform through the last aid station. Water and ice went on me and the perform down the hatch. It was a pretty emotional 2 mile run back remembering all the miles in the pool, the long runs and long bikes, the countless hours where I was away from my family. Prior to the race I wanted to see how far I had actually gone which might give you a sense of the time I spent training for this event: 88.5 miles of swimming, 2125 miles on the bike and 377 miles running. This training consumed my mornings before work, lunches, evenings and weekends now it all was paying off, soon I will be crossing that finish line. I made it back to the hub where I ran back to T2 then I came back to the same volunteer and proudly yelled "Finish" she again gave me an awesome high five and directed me to the finishers' chute. With a swim through what felt like a hurricane, a bike that seemed like I was getting a wind tunnel test and a painful marathon I was finally in the finisher chute. I began to high five everyone that had their arms out and then I heard the voice of Ironman, Mike Reilly began to start my introduction. I felt great I wanted to finish strong so I used everything I had left to make that trip down the carpet. Soon I raised my arms and crossed that line, I had done it. Even with the conditions mother nature threw at us and fighting an injury the last 50 miles of the race I still made my goal time. It was an awesome feeling!! I wasn't sure if I was going to fall or not but there was a volunteer there for me in the event I did. She asked "are you ok?", I replied I think so she put the medal on my neck and another volunteer handed me my finisher hat and shirt. Wow, I was finally an Ironman!! To think it was just over 3 years ago I started in the sport of triathlon and now I just completed my first Ironman. The pain was gone now I was smiling from ear to ear. She said do you want to take a finisher photo? But of course I do.
Finally done!

My run data: 
IMSG Run Data

After the Finish
Once that was done, we started the long walk (well not long but felt long I hadn't walked that much since 6:30 that morning) to the finisher area. We passed the medical tent and she asked me if I had anyone here at the race with me, I told her I had my family and they should be meeting me afterwards. We reached the food tent she asked again if I was OK I told her yes and thanked her again she congratulated me and headed back to catch more athletes. I made my way through the food tent grabbing some pizza, pretzels, fruit and chocolate milk. I walked a bit eating along the way. I realized how hungry I was so I tried to pace myself so I did get an stomach ache later. I finally grabbed a table, sat and waited for the support crew to find me.
Soon I saw my wife and kids along with my parents. It was a great reunion. Getting to hold both my boys, kiss my wife and hug my parents. We hung out tried to take a few pictures by that time the rush I had from finishing was soon gone along with the energy level so needless to say they didn't turn out well. We made our way to T2 to get my bike and bags from the day and began the walk over to my pick up and head back to the condo. The bike worked more like a crutch as we walked back, my Mom offered to take my bike but I wasn't going to part with it. Once back at the truck (which only has 5 seats), we loaded everything and then I climbed in the back with a blanket and sat down for the ride back. It was great, the long day was coming to an end. I was able to get out of the back and walk up the stairs to the condo, took a cold bath followed by a hot bath  and changed in to some sweats. Then sat and talked with the family about the day and my experience. I then learned of some of my fellow athletes that didn't make it. It was a tough day for all and I am glad they are all trying another Ironman this year. It speaks volumes of an athlete to toe the line with this distance let alone this race in St George. I wish you all the best of luck as you continue your journey to finish your Ironman. I was soon fading after being up early and finally the batteries died on the couch. It was a great day, tonight I was sleeping as an Ironman.

Thanks
First and foremost I need to thank my wife, she has been the most supportive and lovely wife. I couldn't have done it with out you baby, I love you. Thank God for giving me the strength and endurance to compete. To my parents, with a 2500 mile trip to the event, thank you for supporting me and believing in me. To my friends, many of you have provided inspiration and even tips on my work outs, thanks. To my mentors, thanks for providing your experiences and guidance. To my coaches, you have made me a better athlete and I hope soon when I join the ranks I will be able to help athletes like you have helped me.  It was a great ride but I am going to enjoy some family time before signing up for the next one. Thanks to all for following along it was an Epic Journey.

Cheers
Nate




No comments:

Post a Comment