Saturday, May 12, 2012

IMSG Part II

Bike 6:40:20

The wind is a very elusive creature. Just when you think your day it going well it will jump up and make you feel like a day one cyclist. Striking you with nasty head wind or crosswinds strong enough to push you off the road way. I had ridden in wind before, hell I planned some of my rides to be in the wind but this day was a full frontal attack on my cycling skills and abilities. Originally, "the plan" was to nail a 6 hour bike split which was obtainable until I finished the first loop then it just got too far out of my reach.

Enjoying the start of the bike with a little head wind
Climb up by Gunlock Reservoir
The ride from Sand Hollow to St George was the least amount of climbing on the course I was averaging around 18 mph during this section with a variation of head and crosswinds. There were a few climbs and also some good down hill sections. I spent most of this leg (23 miles) getting in water/nutrition (I had packed fig newtons, Clif bar Shot blocks and 2 Hammer mixed fuel bottles) and just getting comfortable on the bike. The first aid station I took a bottle of water to refill my aero drink but realized it was mostly full thanks to Sand Hollow Reservoir for keeping me well hydrated during the swim. Completing the first leg of the bike, I saw my family set up on the side of the road but not quite ready for me yet so I popped up out of the aero to say hello.  I began "the loop" of the course which is a steady climb for about 30 miles then a 14 mile section of downhill back in to St George. The winds seemed to have picked up as I battled to keep my bike on the road during cross winds and attempted to get as aero as I could during the head winds. It seamed like a long sufferfest during this section of the bike with the head winds and the climbs. But I had been training for these conditions so I was prepared and wasn't frustrated or disappointed I just kept focused. After the 3 previous times riding up "The Wall" in training, I had never looked more forward to a climb then I was at this point since I knew when I got to it I was going to have a tail wind to push me up it. I made the mile climb with 6-12% grades fairly easily. Once I got to the top I reached back to grab a fuel bottle...oh no... my cage was loose I didn't want to risk losing it 45 miles into the race so I stopped and tightened up the bolts with my allen wrench. Seemed to be good to go so jumped back on the bike and headed to Vayo (only losing 3 minutes on the stop). Once making the turn south out of Vayo there were two more steady climbs then an awesome down hill section back to town.  The climbs were fairly easy with the tail wind but soon it was time to get my special needs bag which I packed another baggie of fig newtons, a shot block, hammer bar and a FRS energy drink. I got everything in my fuel box and held on to my FRS then threw my bag. I was able to down the FRS drink (rejuvenation) and then it was just a short climb before the down hill. Oh how fun the down hill was, I kept pedaling and was keeping speeds up in the 40's but just as I came down in to Snow Canyon I had a nasty gust that almost threw me off the road so I decided to slow down since I didn't need to add a crash to my Ironman experience. I had made up over 22 minutes on this section of the bike being only 10 minutes behind pace to make my goal.

As I began the second loop the winds seemed to have picked up. I remember on one section it felt like I was riding in front of a sand blaster for a few miles. The splits on the second loop seem pretty consistent with the 1st, I just tried to ride even despite the increase in winds. I did  more self reflection on the 2nd loop then the first since I remember thinking when I first started training early in November I was on a climb (5-6% grade) just mashing the pedals and ended up having to walk my bike up the last section of the hill. Man the progress I have made, spinning up these hills even with a head wind. I was pretty positive during the bike. Once I knew the 6 hr bike split wasn't going to happen I began to think what I needed to get on the run to get in my goal time of 12- 12:30. I still felt great I was just hoping the the injured IT Band and the knee pain would stay away. I planned to take a 800mg of Motrin toward the end of the bike to keep some pain away during the run. As I made my way up the long climb, I starting to notice some discomfort in my knee and found myself back at the bottom of "the wall". I began my ascent and then I felt a sharp pain in my knee. It took all I could to keep the pedals turning. I had never had pain like this when riding only when I ran which led to me not running more than 7 miles the last 4 weeks. I used my left leg to do as much of the work as I could to reach the top. Realizing now is the time to take that Motrin. Reaching mile 90 on the bike I knew I had two more climbs then coast the down hill to T2. Now I thought, with shooting pain in my knee there is no way to run a marathon. But then I remembered a mentor tell me "Ironman is all about heart, if you want it bad enough". So I told myself walking is not an option, Nate you are going to run this marathon end of conversation. I reached back to the take the last pull of the fuel bottle I had left and as I pulled the bottle out the cage fell off my bike at that point I was so mad I just left it. When I finished my bottle I just held on to it until I got to the next aid station and chucked it. I took the next 5 miles easy and hydrating as I was letting the medicine absorb in the bloodstream prior to the run. I didn't push the downhills as fast so I could to let the legs rest for the run. I ended the loop and began my way to T2 along Diagonal Hwy which the run course is on as well. I remember seeing some of the pros but was just ready to get off the bike even though I was unsure how my knee would handle the run. As I approached T2 I could hear my name being yelled and noticed the support crew there waiting as I got off the bike.

Coming off the bike in T2

 T2 came up faster then I anticipated, being right after a turn, with out time to un-velcro my shoes, just decided to get off with them. I looked at the clock almost 8:12 then looked at my watch.. it was still set for the pros.. I was in T2 under 8 hrs!! With the winds and over 7,000 ft of climbing can't complain about that.Click the link to check out the data from the bike.

IMSG Bike Data



T2 6:41

As I ran to get my bag, a volunteer already had it in hand so no need to yell my number again. I grabbed my bag and made my way around the tent to the entrance. But then noticed the porta potties, yep better hit that up. I got that taken care off and headed in the tent, there were a ton of athletes in there but didn't seem to be in a hurry or even attempting to get ready for the run. I started to get my cycling shoes off, helmet off and then I had a volunteer dumping my bag out. I grabbed my compression sleeves, socks and got them on followed quickly by my shoes. I took out all the extra items I had in my top from the bike and put them in the bag. Then I realized that the group of athletes in the tent all missed the bike cut off, after hearing stories and not seeing any chips on their ankles. I got my visor on, headed out of the tent and to the sunscreen station this time I had about 4 females all hit me at once, of course being me I said "So how does this work do I pay you or do you pay me?" they all laughed and said good luck on the run. I realized I might need it and one more time "Gitty Up"  as I crossed the mat to start the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment