Wednesday, April 18, 2012

4 Weeks to Go

This was a rough week for me with the injury to my ITB and some treatment I had to cut back on my training. This was also my recovery week so it worked out well. Even though I only logged about half the volume I was planning but after 5 months of hard training there isn't to much more I can do with only a few weeks before the race. 

I started off the week (Monday) spending time giving my ITB the RICE treatment in hopes to ramp back up on my training. Tuesday I started out with a swim workout doing a warm up, 4 x500 yd and then a 100 yd cool down. I was feeling some pain every time I pushed off the wall with my right leg so I favored my left leg during my work out. I attempted to try less impact on my knee and used our elliptical for 45 mins. I was feeling good until the last ten mins then started to get some pain in my knee. I iced my knee and relaxed the rest of the night. 

Wednesday morning I did the same swim work out again and in the afternoon I had my appointment with my Sport Medicine Doctor, who is the Physician for the Army's World Class Athlete Program and personally is also an Ironman finisher. So I couldn't think of a better Doctor to see for an injury 3+ weeks before my Ironman. After some evaluation and discussion we decided to an injection with hopes the pain would subside. He recommended I rest the knee for 72 hrs and allow the inflammation to go down. I continued to ice, stretch and massage my ITB. It was a long 3 days with out training.

I picked back up on Saturday doing 55 miles on the bike with not to much climbing just sometime to work on speed, clear my head and refocus my goals over the next few weeks. After my bike I went the pool to do my endurance swim (30 mins) then spent 15 mins in the deep doing some water running. I felt really good but I didn't want to push it. I took Sunday to rest again hoping to maximize my training next week.

The race is getting close I was assigned Bib #643 for IM St George as it get closer I will post info to follow me along during the race.

Cheers,
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment