Friday, April 27, 2012

3 Weeks to go...

According to my schedule this week it was supposed to be my peak week but with the injury to my ITB I was unable to get all the hours. Overall with the injury it went really well with just over 12 hours of training this week.

This week I spent 7200 yards in the pool. I spent some time doing some water running and ended up spending about 2.5 hrs in the pool this week. Focus this week was on a steady 1500 yd main set with a 500 warm up and 100 cool down. I also did a 45 min endurance swim followed by 15 mins of water running.

The bike is where I kept my volume this week. I rode for 167 miles this week with 4 days of riding and my longest ride being just over 100 miles (riding close to 9 hours this week). I had a little pain while riding but nothing like the pain I was having running.

I did try to run again this week on Monday. Running 7 miles in 52 minutes, the pain kept me from running the full hour as planned. I also ran a short 3.6 miles on Wednesday. I was pretty sore both days after running so I decided to hold off on any other runs.

Went to see a physical therapist this week on Wednesday, who gave me some ideas to speed my recovery: doing some gluteus medius exercises and using resistance bands coupled with the foam rolling and ice massage I was already doing. He thought I should try to run short distances if I could. Which I did on Wednesday after the appointment.

Right now my goal is to get the pain in my ITB down to a manageable level. I have trained hard since December so I am not worried that I will be undertrained. I want to train smart over the next few weeks to ensure the pain in my knee isn’t going to keep me from running the marathon.

Very close now, 1 week of taper and then heading out to St George early the next week.

Cheers,
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment