Saturday, March 17, 2012

10 and 9 Weeks to Go


Hey everyone, better late than never it has been a busy couple of weeks with work, family and training.  Both of these weeks were about 14 + hours of training each week.  I am feeling really good knowing my race is just around the corner.
27 Feb- 4 Mar
Swim: Pretty good week of swimming: (2) of my work outs were 500 yd warm up, 4x250s, 5x100s, 1x500 with 100 cool down.  Then Friday was my long swim 60 minute endurance swim covering 3500 yards, totaling 8700 yards (Just under 5 miles) for the week. 
Bike:  Spin class was focused on hard Time Trial efforts this week. Monday we did (3) 4 min hard effort then Wednesday we did (4) 4min hard effort. I also was able to get out and ride on Monday. It was a little chilly (30’s) but rode about 29 miles. My long ride was with a group, which I will never do again. If it is for social and just getting out riding it is fun but when you are riding for time and trying to cover as many miles as you can it just doesn’t work with different abilities. I still managed to bike 71 miles in 4.5 hrs with about 6150 ft of climbing. Total for the week I was in the saddle for 8:15 riding 132 miles.
Run: Rough week for running this week. Tuesday I ran 800s at the track. Had about a 25 mph wind so half of the lap was easy but the other half was brutal. I ran one 800 as a warm up then 8x800 as the work out times between 2:59-3:11, then ran a cool down 800. I was hoping to keep them closer to 3:00 but wind just got the best of me. I had a long run which I had to split due to some scheduling conflicts but got in 1hr 50 min run total. Saturday I was suppose to run an hour after my bike but due to the many stops and time wasted I was only about to run for 30 mins but I felt good coming off the bike and ran 7:40/miles during this run. I was able to run 24.4 miles this week.
5-11 Mar
Swim: Great week of swimming: (2) work out were 500 yd warm up, 10x 100s, 5 x 200, 5x 50 and 100 Cool down. Times are getting faster as I am working on the efficiency of my stroke (i.e. using fewer strokes per lap yet keeping speed or increasing speed). This is going to conserve energy for the bike and run.  During my endurance swim for 60 minutes I was able to swim 3600 yds this week, totaling 9300 yards (just over 5.25 miles).
Bike: Again another week of max effort time trials, you would think they would get easier but they still suck, increased the number of sets. Weather was perfect this week to ride so I took a lunch to get out for an hour and got in 20 miles. My long bike we mixed up some hills and flats riding 81.5 miles in 4:36. Had about 4100 feet of elevation gain and kept 17.7 mph average.
Run: Much better week of running then last. I had a 75 minute, 60 minute tempo and a 2 hr run. For my 75 min run I was able to keep 7:23/mile pace, 60 minute tempo was 7:07/mile (on the tempo runs I run 5 mins normal pace and one min all out effort) and my 2 hr run I was super comfortable running 7:35/mile pace. So I ran 34.4 miles this week and feel like I should be able to maintain my running until the race spending extra effort on the bike over the next few weeks.
Currently in my recovery week, getting ready for my trip out to St George Utah to ride and run on the course 23-26 March. This is going to let me ride the whole course so I know where I need to conserve energy and where I need to put foot to pedal. Also going to let me visualize the run course and how set my short goals for each of the 3 laps for the marathon.
I will update this weekend on my recovery week.
Cheers
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment