Sunday, January 22, 2012

Training 16 Weeks to Go

Hey Everyone,

First Training blog so here we go.

After completing last season with my “A “Race being Ironman Boulder 70.3, I set my sights on completing my first full Ironman. With that said I knew I would need to improve my training, so this year I have sought out different coaches to help me progress in my 3 events.

Swimming: I found myself swimming in the top 25% of my age group (with a competitive swimming back ground at the HS level) but with better technique I know I will be able to swim faster. This year I am working on more drills in the pool (ie closed fist swimming, catch up drills, finger drags). I also had pointed out to me, that when I swim my face is angled forward (more drag) and I am not following through on the last 4-6 inches of my stroke (less propulsion). So I have a few things to work on but with some hard work I think my goal of swimming a 1:10 for the 2.4 miles is going to be obtainable.

Cycling (The newest sport to me): I just starting cycling in 2008 after purchasing my first road bike, with some influence of my boss who was training for Ironman Arizona. Although I was able to hold 20.5 mph average in Boulder for 56 miles, I knew I could use help to get more competitive. I turned to a progressive cycling class offered at a local bike shop. This class works on pedal stroke, reaching high cadence and proper form while riding. I go 2 nights a week for an hour and thus far I can see I am improving every week. Otherwise I think sheer "saddle time" this year to get me more comfortable on the bike.

Running: This is my strongest event, also where I make up ground after the bike. As most of you know, I have always been a runner but after 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 miles of biking this is going to be the hardest marathon I have ever ran. So I sought out a local coach to capture my running form, find areas of improvement and try to get muscle memory on that form. I was given some good warm up and cool down procedures to strength up my hips for injury prevention and reduce a pronation in my right foot that I have been dealing with most of my life.

16 weeks to IMSG (16-22 January)

This week was scheduled for 11 hrs and 40 mins of training, with an extra bike ride (weather was too nice not to ride) I ended up with just over 12 hrs.
Swimming was 3 workouts in the pool as usual. I was swimming 2 X 1000 yd sets for (2) workouts, feeling comfortable swimming 1:35-1:38/100 yd pace. I learned the easiest way to keep track of laps it to go off time to the 500yd mark then lap my watch. Before I was trying to keep track of laps in my head but if you ever have been swimming steady for 20-40 mins you know your mind is not a reliable counter. Made it easier for my 45 min endurance swim on Friday (start the watch and swim till I hit 45 mins). This week I totaled 2:12 in the pool for 7950 yds or 4.5 miles.
Cycling this week, I had my normal 2 nights at my progressive cycling class. I decided to venture out over lunch and ride from Fort Carson to the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo. This was a good ride since there is over 4800 ft of climbing in St George. Over the 17 miles to the zoo and back I was able to climb 1400 ft. On Saturday I met up with a friend and did 3 hours of riding on the north side of CO Spgs. We found about every hill we could for a good amount of climbing ending up with 50 miles and just over 3000 ft of climbing. For the week I ended up with 6 hrs 30 mins and covered 101.5 miles.
(Ride up to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo)
Run and boy did I run this week. I had a 1:40 run on Monday which I was able to run 13.05 miles and averaged 7:40/miles. Speaking my Half Marathon PR is a 1:37, I was pretty happy. With the Super Half marathon coming up 5 Feb, I am hoping to put that PR to bed. My run after my bike on Saturday was slower than usual but I ran in Ute Valley Park which has some pretty tough and technical trails. Overall I had a great week of running 3 hrs 25 mins with 26.4 miles.
 (Run on Monday up to America the Beautiful Park)
Last week was my first week training over 12 hrs and I felt pretty tired by Thursday-Friday. These week I was able to motor though all my workouts without too much fatigue. 15 weeks to IMSG!

Cheers

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment